5 a day?? What is your 5 Fruit & Veg portion size?
Fruit and vegetables are a great source of vitamins, minerals and fibre, and are an important part of a healthy, balanced diet. Eating plenty of fruit and veg helps keep us healthy and may reduce the risk of disease and some cancers. There are lots of varieties of fruit and vegetables to choose from. Even if you’re a picky eater.
A portion for your 5 a day is approximately 80g of fruit:
- That’s a large slice of fruit like melon or pineapple
- One medium apple, banana or pear
- Two smaller fruits like plums or satsumas
- Seven strawberries or 20 raspberries
- One handful of grapes
Or 30g dried fruit:
- One heaped tablespoon of dried fruit, such as raisins, cherries or dates
Or 80g of vegetables:
- That’s three heaped tablespoons of peas, beans or pulses
- Three heaped tablespoons of veggies like sliced carrots, mixed vegetables or corn
- Four heaped tablespoons of cooked green veggies like cabbage and spring greens
- Two spears of broccoli or one medium tomato
- A dessert bowl of salad greens